Nurses work as part of a team of professional and medical staff that includes doctors, social workers and therapists.
Typical duties of the job include:
- assessing and planning nursing care requirements
- providing pre- and post-operation care
- monitoring and administering medication and intravenous infusions
- taking patient samples, pulses, temperatures and blood pressures
- writing records
- supervising junior staff
- organising workloads
- providing emotional support to patients and relatives
- tutoring student nurses
24-hour shift work can be a requirement of the job.