About Second Spectrum
Second Spectrum is the world leader in building machines that understand sports and the experts at creating value from tracking data. We create tools that help teams win, making data and video easily accessible and actionable. For media companies, we create automatically augmented video and interactive, personalized, OTT experiences. We are at the forefront of computer vision, machine learning, big data, augmented reality, and product design. Second Spectrum is the Official Optical Tracking Provider of the NBA since 2017. In addition, we are working with several football (soccer) clubs and leagues in Europe and in the US, and provide software for coaches and players to help improve their game.
Second Spectrum employs over 100 employees and is headquartered in Los Angeles (USA) with one R&D office in Lausanne (Switzerland) and another one in Shanghai (China). Its computer vision team has engineers in Los Angeles and in Lausanne. They are in charge of all aspects of the computer vision and deep learning technologies for player tracking and broadcast solutions. To grow our team and join our Swiss office, we are looking for a:
Computer Vision Engineer
Purpose and key responsibilities
The purpose of the R&D team is to provide cutting-edge technologies to ensure our market leading position. Engineers are expected to:
- Design, prototype, implement and evaluate computer vision algorithms in Python and modern C++.
- Leverage Amazon Web Services (EC2 and S3) to run algorithms on large number of servers in the cloud, to analyze sport matches from our installations for diverse sports (basketball, football, ice-hockey, etc.).
- Train computer vision algorithms using our labeled data sets of sports videos, updated daily by our operators.
- Develop readable, maintainable and efficient code and contribute to Git repositories.
- Review code of other engineers and contribute to the company’s engineering good practices.
- Keep up with the latest innovation and techniques by attending international computer vision conferences, such as ICCV or CVPR, and by discussing papers every two weeks.
- Act as a mentor for interns.
- Work in strong collaboration with the headquarters in LA.
Education and professional background requirements
- Higher education diploma in Computer Science or related degree
- Advanced level in Python or modern C++ with exposure to functional & object-oriented programming paradigms
- General knowledge of most common computer vision and machine learning algorithms
- Experience in end-to-end solutions for computer vision and machine learning, from specification to performance evaluation
- Exposure to software engineering: modern software development practices and tools, concurrent and distributed programming, operating systems, computer networks, database systems
- Fluent in English
- Languages for scientific computing: Python 2.7 & 3, C++11
- Frameworks: OpenCV3, CUDA, FFmpeg, Tensorflow, NumPy, scikit-learn
- Code base: Git with GitLab
- Machine learning: deep neural networks
- Cloud services: AWS EC2 and S3
- Productivity: Slack, Jira, Confluence, Google Apps (Calendar, Docs, Sheets, Slides)
- Strong work ethic
- Team-oriented engineering habits, as one of our core values is “team first”
- Aptitude for learning new technologies and disseminating experience
- Willingness to contribute with ideas and to question existing standards
- Excited about team sports, both as a player and as a fan – an asset